miboot on a 6400

Daniel Gimpelevich yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:42:58 -0700

You have not told us which version of miBoot you are using (and saying 1.0a3
means nothing; they're all 1.0a3). Where did you get this miBoot? Is it the
version that comes with YDL? That version does not use boot.conf at all. The
only version that does is the binary-only version that came with LinuxPPC
2000. All other versions must be configured using a resource editor such as
ResEdit.
--
"No gnu's is good gnu's."   --Gary Gnu, "The Great Space Coaster"

> From: sadfsdf <ydl@augustmail.com>
> Newsgroups: gmane.linux.yellowdog.general
> Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:12:37 -0500
> Subject: Re: miboot on a 6400
>
> Currently im getting a tux with a red X on there. Ive been reading your
> guide from april of last year
> (http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2003-April/00
> 6938.html)
> but nothing seems to work, I press space and nothing happens I press tab
> still nothing happens, i do command+alt+shift+del and I get miboot
> saying "open error -43"
>

> Alexander Holst wrote:
>
>>> Message: 10
>>> Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:14:48 +0300
>>> Subject: Re: miboot on a 6400
>>> From: nathan <nathan@incirlik.net>
>>> To: "yellowdog general lists.terrasoftsolutions.com"
>>> <yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
>>>

>>> AFAIK, miBoot is really hard to get to work on the PPC/Performa
>>> machines.
>>

>> Not really ;) - All my OldWorld Macs (5 in total) boot through it,
>> even my beige G3 and my Performa 5200 :)
>>
>>> Why not get a copy of BootX 1.2.x. In my experience it's the easiest to
>>> setup and use on the oldworld machines...
>>

>> Some people like their machines to be Mac OS free to save some disk
>> space and to avoid licence issues ;)
>>
>> Hi sadfsdf,
>>
>>> My directory tree for the miboot partition is like this
>>> |-- System Folder (note: Mac OS has blessed the folder)
>>> |-- Linux Kernels
>>> |-- ramdisk.image.gz
>>> |-- boot.conf
>>

>> You have _two_ boot.conf files! Use one or the other - I assume miboot
>> gets confused which one to use. I usually erase the one in the System
>> Folder and use one at the root level of the HFS partition. It is
>> easier to manage from the Linux side then, as you avoid the space in
>> the "System Folder" in its path, which can cause some problems when
>> using the command line.
>>
>>> My boot.conf is thus:
>>>
>>> init-message = "\n Welcome to YDL!\Press <TAB> for boot options.\n\n"
>>> timeout = 50
>>>
>>> default = bootYDL
>>>
>>> image = vmlinux-2.4.22-2f
>>> label = bootYDL
>>> root = /dev/hda6
>>> append = "video=valkyriefb3:vmode:14,cmode:8"
>>>
>>> image = vmlinux-2.4.22-2fBOOT
>>> label = install_YDL
>>> initrd = ramdisk.image.gz
>>> initrd-size=16384