Is Linux Unix? (KDE)

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 1 14:33:01 2004

Bill:

Longman, Bill wrote:

> Francis X. Maier wrote:
>> Slightly OT:  Just for the heck of it, which do most
>> of the list folks  use, KDE or Gnome? I've tried
>> both, but Gnome has always struck me as lighter and
>> easier to use.
>
> When I have to use one of these two, I use KDE.
> WindowMaker is my usual first choice, though. It's
> light and easily configurable.

I must admit that I could never "grok" Windowmaker. I think I needed a
"quick start" guide, or something, because I could never determine how
to start or quit programs (admittedly a large hurdle). At Login, there
were several oversized buttons on the screen that did not seem to
respond to button clicks (working from memory). Some buttons had paper
clips that did not seem to do anything. If I did manage to start an
application (I think I right-clicked on the desktop), one or two large
buttons would appear on the bottom left of my screen. However, clicking
those did not seem to activate the individual apps. I must be missing
some sort of "big picture" with the whole desktop environment. Please
enlighten me (pun intended :-) ).

Best wishes,
Clint