[OT] KDE vs. Gnome (was: Is Linux Unix? (KDE))

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 1 15:05:02 2004

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Longman, Bill wrote:

> > Clint,
> >
> > Thanks.  Yes,  Blackbox rules.  No question.  ;-)  It was my
> > environment
> > of choice running Linux m68k on my ancient Quadra 630.
> >
> > My problem with KDE is Konqueror, which I've never liked.  KDE just
> > feels heavier and slower than Gnome -- but that may be a
> > function of my
> > iMac 350.
>
> It's not just your iMac. KDE is even slow on a dual hyperthreading Xeon....

<quote>

"It's not just your iMac. KDE is even slow on a dual hyperthreading
Xeon..."
</quote>

I wonder what was slow with the dual hyperthreading and kde? How much
ram did you have ? Perhaps you can mention some kde apps that are slow (to
open) and I can try it/them out for reference.

I have a dual powermac g5 and kde 3.2.2 and I'm quite impressed
on the whole (btw I have 512 MB ram). I noticed a good improvement going
from kde 3.2.0 to 3.2.2 in terms of how long apps took before they opened.

Anyway, that's my 2 pennies worth :-)