Powerbook and boot from CD problem

R. Hirschfeld yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 1 20:05:02 2004

> From: Jason Warm <jwarm@miasys.com>
> Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 17:02:44 -0400
>
> Andrew - Thanks much, you are a god send!  I had one friend (who shall
> remain nameless) who told me the PowerBook G3 was a NewWorld Mac.  I
> have been burning CD after CD thinking I was doing something wrong, my
> OS X CD and OS 9 cd would boot fine!  The steps you gave me worked like
> a charm.  That is till I got to the part about partitioning the drive.
> My original plan was to have no Mac OS at all.  I was going to use
> Druid to wipe it out and create only linux parts which obviously I
> can't do if this is old world.  So now I just have to wait until I get
> home so I can hip out OS 9 again and reformat the drive so Mac OS only
> has like 1 Gig (leaving 9 for linux).

Some PowerBook G3's (the Lombard and Pismo) are indeed New World, but
the Wallstreet is Old World.

I believe it's possible to have no MacOS even on an Old World machine
if you boot using quik rather than BootX (which requires MacOS) or
yaboot (which only works on New World machines), but I haven't
experimented with it and I've read that it's a bit sensitive to bugs
in early versions of OF.  Cf. http://penguinppc.org/projects/quik/.

Ray