hello newbies question kopete and gaim re thx

mascarasnake yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 2 10:45:03 2004

reno,

Sorry, sometimes I get ahead of myself.

> well thx  you for that rapid answer   but the link that  you gave me
> dont  work :(
> second  and please   im  such a newbies  that my pant are  still wet
> and also im only english speaking  on the second degree   ( im french
> canadian ).

No problem. I'm bored and don't have to be at work till this afternoon,
so happy to help out. Sorry about the link. for some reason a space got
inserted into it. mea culpa.

>  so i kmow that annoying  but its may take some time before i  get
> everything done
> but feeel free  to tell me to go f...k myself   its its  too much
> trouble :) i wont feel bad .

That's not what the list is here for. I have had my fair share of being
annoying, and will (no doubt) have many more in the future.

So anyway, until your pants dry, I'll slow it down a bit for you.

yum relies on a file in the /etc/ directory called "yum.conf". This
file points yum to the URLs (called repositories) that have all the
packages, headers, etc.

Using your favorite text editor (as root), add the lines:

	[freshrpms YDL 3.0]
	name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 freshrpms
	baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/3.0/ppc/freshrpms

to the end of the file and then save it.

This is a repository created and maintained by the gentleman who just
built a thunderbird rpm for us (if you've been following the list this
morning), Matthias Saou. He puts together apps that YDL can't or
doesn't put together for us. Bob awesome of him, I think.

Now, for installing gaim. first run:
	yum list mozilla*
this will give you a list of the mozilla packages available and
installed. This should have been done automatically when you installed
YDL, but just make sure that you have mozilla-nss and mozilla-nspr
installed. gaim needs these to get through MSN's security. I don't know
if Matthias built those in or not, but just to be safe... If they are
not installed, install them.

Next (as root) run:
	yum update gaim
in a couple of minutes, you should be happily running gaim v0.76 with
MSN support - Thanks again to Mr. Saou.

> since  you seem a brain  on linux do  you have a few idea on  the new
> version of ydl ....

Thank you, but I'm far from a brain on linux, just a guy with too much
free time. As far as the new release of YDL (4.0), I'm as clueless as
most of us. Awaiting it's release wit baited breath. you can check out
this thread
	<http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2004-
May/013849.html>
and this link for a little info
	<http://www.ppcnux-projekt.de/modules.php?
name=AvantGo&file=print&sid=3669>

A couple of things for you.

	Post responses and all that to the list. Not so much that I mind the
personal email (some folks do, however), but even responses that are
"What did you say?" can help out the entire community.

	Some resources you might want to give a whirl:
	- The mailing list archives. At the top right of every Yellow Dog web
page has a search box that allows you to search the mailing lists, and
most newbie questions have been encountered before. This will keep you
from getting hit with "RTFM" and "STFW"
	- the linux man pages. start out with yum and rpm (having to do with
packages on YDL) to get your feet wet:

		man yum
and
		man rpm

	- There's a really cool, brand new, extremely helpful site under
construction that has lots of info that is YDL intensive. check out the
unofficial YDL FAQ site here:
	<http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/start>

g'luck

	It's what you make it man