Networked printer question

Marcelo Giles yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 3 11:15:02 2004

Fran, David,

Mac OS X uses the CUPS print system, as Linux does. I think that you
have to share the printer from one of your Mac OS X boxes: System
Preferences> Sharing> Printer Sharing (OS X does this via CUPS).

I think that the Base Station doesn't really have a built-in CUPS
server, I think it works (transparently) through the Macs "attached" to
it.

Back in Linux, you could open Mozilla and type
http://127.0.0.1:631/admin and from there, add the printer to you Linux
box:

Manage Printers> Add Printer> Name> [Epson C82]Device [http or ipp, not
sure here]Device URI> [ipp://ip-address-of-your-osx-box/ipp/ OR
http://ip-address-of-your-osx-box:631/ipp/].

(I think that you don't even need the drivers installed locally if they
are on the OS X box already.)

But don't trust me, I'm just guessing here.