Linux text editor = or > BBEdit

Christopher Brown yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 3 14:31:01 2004

I'm in search of a BBEdit replacement.

One of my main reasons for staying with the cult that is Mac for so long
has been BBEdit. I have found that particular program to be the best
program for it's purpose and for purposes it was never intended for,
moreso than any other program I have ever used. I would even go so far
as to say that that one piece of software is better than any Mac
application written and is greater than the value of the hardware it
runs on.

Having said that. What does the PPC Linux world offer that is close to
BBEdit? I'm giving Linux a fair shot at becoming my main OS. So far
almost every app that I needed in OSX I have found suitable replacements
for (THANK YOU MATTHIAS SAOU !!!) Basically I want color coded text,
massive search and replace with or without grep, smart application that
recognizes different coding languages (html, pearl, c, java, etc.) and
can deal with them like BBEdit can. The GUI is important here too. The
least of it's shining acheivements is it's easy to use, unobtrusive GUI.

Christopher Brown