[OT] Editors & mac to Linux stories

Derick Centeno yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 7 01:43:01 2004

I feel moved to quote Darth Vader when he encountered the fighting
ability of his son, in which he stated simply, "Impressive...But All to
Easy (to defeat)."  However, I have also used BBedit for a long time; so
long that I'm quite familiar with it's history and standing in the Mac
community.  I do not mean to belittle anything about it.  I upgraded
years back from the "free" package to the "full" version and was quite
content when I was programming in Codewarrior when the Mac OS was in
it's Classic phase. My respect for BBEdit as a product is reflected in
the fact that I bought the "full" version, whereas I NEVER bought the
full version which is MS Office.  I only have the licenses for the
Classic version of Word and Excel.

Even so, they nor Microsoft really have a clue as to what's happened as
a result of Apple's choice of supporting open source while continuing to
develop the proprietary components of OS X.  For instance, you mention
that Bare Bones is working on an inline spelling system for BBEdit...
fine, I hope they are successful. But xemacs and vim has is NOW and
they've had it for YEARS!!

I hope that you are not holding back your research waiting for Bare
Bones to develop what already exists within vim and xemacs; that would
be a waste of time now wouldn't it?  Especially since the user base of
vim and xemacs is far beyond what Bare Bones would ever hope to
attract!  The kinks have been all worked out and expunged.

Bare Bones, when the Mac was all alone, was great.  Those days no longer
exist and they should move on also to something else.  I will not be
upgrading for the same reason I will not be upgrading MS Office, or
Excel or Word.  It is not necessary because the "better" and most tested
products are already in existence, or in the case of OpenOffice and
gnuplot and Blender they are quite enough for my uses.

The output header is the first few lines at the top of the page normally
stating date, filename, user name, sometimes even the time of the date
of printing or the day the file was saved together with the time.
xemacs produces this information in an outstanding way which is called
Pretty printing, and it is much better than anything else for producing
programming output.  Most programmers however are not into printing
pretty things, they are into coding.  Even so, xemacs is the app to beat
and BBEdit can't do it...

Give in and try xemacs for your application Clint, you'll probably be
very surprised of what it can do.  You can even play towers of hanoi
within xemacs while accessing the psychologist and working within
multiple windows on separate projects.   C'mon...
Resistance is Futile!

Enjoy...