Successful install of YDL on an external USB drive

David Hacker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 9 16:56:00 2004

I didn't think it was possible but I was just able to get a running
version of YDL on a USB drive.
The installer will install on it with no problem.  The tricky part is
that you have to put your /boot directory on your internal drive
because yaboot and openfirmware can't detect USB drives at startup.
Once I made a small partiton on my internal drive for /boot and put the
kernel there and edited my yaboot.conf to have a line like
image=hd:3,/vmlinux
	label=ydl
	root=/dev/sda5
	read-only

It booted right into YDL.  Then I edited my fstab file to have an entry
for /boot like
/dev/hda3		/boot		ext3		default	0 0
I had to build a 2.6.5 kernel from the tss sources to get the video to
work right on my new eMac but I can say I am not typing this message
from YDL on a USB drive on the new eMac.

Just thought it might be of interest to others.
David C. Hacker, DVM
212 N 1st St #2
New Salem, ND 58563
(701) 843-8179