FreeSwan

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 9 23:14:00 2004

Hi,

On Tue Jun 8 2004, Pietro Pesci Feltri C. wrote:

> The install instructions is in FreeSwan Home Page and not in YDL related
> pages.
>
> You must download a tar.gz compressed source file, uncompress and apply
> patch. Then make oldconfig.
>
> May be the things are different now, I installed FreeSwan 3 mounth ago,
> in fact I submited the help to this group but no answers.
>
> Remember to do a copy of kernel and /lib/modules/* yust in case
> YDL version = 3.01. Fully functional except no compresion allowed
>
> Good luck
>
> By the way, the other package is CIPE but is partial ipsec compliant
> only, but much easier to install and deploy than FreeSwan.

BTW FreeS/WAN is no longer being developed (the final version is 2.06).
Taking its place are two other projects, Openswan and strongSwan.  A
casual examination of the two sites leads me to believe the Openswan
project is being more actively developed than strongSwan, but of course
initial impressions could be deceiving and I'm not an expert on either
project.  Any version of freeswan will take some doing to get working
I believe as it involves patching and building kernels, and a learning
curve for the configuration files and utilities, but it is doable.  You
just have to plow through the instructions on the sites.

						-Bill