basic yum questions

mascarasnake yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 14 07:00:02 2004

Hey Ray,

R. Hirschfeld wrote:

> For a minor version update (using yum) from YDL 3.0 to YDL 3.01, after
> editing /etc/yum.conf do I then do "yum update" or "yum upgrade"?  The
> man page isn't very detailed about the difference between the two.

You want to run a yum update. the upgrade option is *deprecated*
(meaning that it still works, but the authors may remove that feature
sometime in the next decade or so). They do the same thing, essentially.

> How does yum/rpm handle configuration files (such as those in /etc)?
> Is there a mechanism to prevent clobbering them when upgrading the
> corresponding packages?

Yum shouldn't change anything if it doesn't need to and, in my
experience, won't without letting you know or asking.
  If you are really 'noided about this, back up. I do this even on Mac
OS. If I think a new version of an app is going to be buggy, I make sure
I have a copy of the old one on a separate drive (actually, I keep
copies of the installers - .dmg, .sit, .tar.gz, etc and rotate them out
after a while when I see the new app behaving). Backups are good.

> Thanks,
> Ray

g'luck

--