sound problem on imac dv

Andrew yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 15 22:28:01 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 21:56, Ben Buchanan wrote:
> <excerpt>
>
> I have installed YDL 3.01 on an imac DV. When KDE is starting up after
> I boot up I get the
>
>  error initialising sound driver. device /dev/dsp can't be opened (no
> such device).
>
> Once logged in to KDE I can choose sound card detection in the KDE
> menu and it detects the sound card: vendor=Apple model=DMASOUND
> module=dmasound_pmac. Clicking yes fixes the sound problem, but then
> at next login I have to do it again. How do I fix this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ben</x-tad-bigger></fontfamily></excerpt>

This problem is specific to KDE. Neither GNOME, WindowMaker or even
blackbox have this problem (on my computer at least). Feel free to
correct me if Im wrong (I like that, really!)

Its a very easy fix, indeed. Simply open, as root, </etc/rc.d/rc.local>
and add 'modprobe dmasound_pmac' at the bottom of it.

Here is the detailed procedure:

Spawn a terminal. 'konsole' is appropriate since you are running KDE but
you may want to use xterm or whatever else terminal program you like...
same apply for the text editor (kwrite, nedit, gedit, emacs... ).
Personally, I felt in love with 'nedit'.

]$ su
password:
]# nedit /etc/rc.d/rc.local

...this is where you insert 'modprobe dmasound_pmac' at the end of the
file then save the changes and exit the text editor. It should look
quite (if not exactly) similar to this:

--start of modified </etc/rc.d/rc.local>
#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

touch /var/lock/subsys/local

modprobe dmasound_pmac
--end of modified </etc/rc.d/rc.local>

]# exit