aMSN, tls, messenger

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jun 18 09:18:01 2004

The never-ending story of aMSN on ppc, next installment:

> > It is a binary then. When you compile aMSN and start it it will tell
> > you where to put it. I don't know it anymore but currently figuring it
out.
> > I suspect it to be in the normal lib folder.
>
> Here's the answer (on an i686 under FC1).
> There is a directory called "plugins" in the directory amsn.
> Inside there, a directory called "tls1.4".
> And that directory contains files called:
>
> libtls1.4.so
> pkgIndex.tcl
> tls.tcl
>
> Also in directory amsn itself is an identical directory tls1.4
> with identical contents.
>
> BTW you don't need to compile aMSN. You just need to unpack it.
> It runs on any platform, out of the box.

I am now pretty sure there is a bug in how aMSN installs the tls plugin
for ppc. In fact I posted a bug report, at:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=974917&group_id=54091&atid=472655

In short: when you start aMSN and try to sign up to msn, it asks you
to download and install a tls plugin appropriate to your OS.
If you choose for ppc it installs what appears
to be tls 1.5 compiled for mac os. If you by hand
put the tls1.4 for ppc directories in the two places mentioned above,
amsn does not know that anything has been installed. tls1.5 does not
seem to compile for ppc (maybe someone else can solve this for me!).
In any case, it appears it is not enough simply to put some files in
the right place in the right directories. You have to do something more
to amsn, so that it knows about the new plugin. This would not be solved by
compiling amsn yourself, as far as I can imagine. You still need to know
how to add new plugins.

Richard