Yum/HD issues

R. Hirschfeld yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 20 02:12:01 2004

> From: "Brian Whitesides" <bwhitesi@ucsd.edu>
> Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:59:22 -0700
>
> I've never worked on a laptop before, only towers.  Buying a new hard drive
> wasn't my first choice because I do not know the steps or caveats involved
> in installing a new hard drive on my laptop.  Does anyone know of any
> manuals or guides to help me through the process?  Also, I have found
> different specs on laptop hard drives, what are the specs I need to obey
> when buying a HD for a Wallstreet laptop?

As a couple of others have pointed out, installing a hard drive on a
Wallstreet is fairly straightforward.  One caveat, though: some newer
drives apparently generate a magnetic field strong enough to interfere
with the Wallstreet's magnetic sleep switch (which shuts down the
computer when the lid is closed) and may need to be shielded.  See
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/PB_G3/wallstreet_hard_drive/.

My Wallstreet had this problem after Apple replaced the drive.  The
symptom was that the computer would not start up but instead made a
clicking/sputtering sound when I pressed the power key.  Sliding a
refrigerator magnet a few times along the side of the case next to the
sensor would get it going, after which it would work fine until the
next time I closed the lid.  Apple replaced the drive again and now I
don't have the problem.

Ray