Old World Needs an ATA Drive!

Andrew yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 20 10:41:01 2004

When a fresh install is acting funny, I re-install all over again. I am
often too lazy to investigate, but that is not a good thing when using
Linux ;)

On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 09:02, Arch and Cath wrote:
> After all my travails trying to build YDL 3.0.1 on SCSI drives I bought a
> $22 10GB ATA drive on ebay and installed it in my Beige G3 (upgraded).
> Voila!   It all works -- almost.   Install went well and system comes up
> nicely, however, I've never seen this before:
>
> If I logon as "arch" and am in root, the prompt is: "arch@pcp04387688pcs:
> /".  If I logon as 'root'  the prompt is: "root@pcp04387688pcs: /"

You can change this in </etc/hosts>. Anaconda do this when setting
network parameters. Its the 'hostname' box that need to be filled in...
Here is mine:

[andrew@virgule andrew]$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       virgule localhost.localdomain   localhost

replace 'virgule' with your desired 'localdomain' name. Its the computer
name, indeed...

> Also a lot of things are flaky.  When I try to assign a printer it tells me
> that the name HP-6110 is "more than 127 characters".    When I tried to
> bring up the email program, the little symbol whirls but the program never
> opens.

I have no printer at all, soory cant help ya here.