Sudden Power Off on PowerMac G4

John Magdaleno yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 20 22:34:01 2004

My problem is that I have noticed my Mac powering off (suddenly, i.e., no
shutdown) daily running YDL linux. This same problem does not occur running
MacOS X. I would love to resolve this problem because I plan to use this Mac
as the primary server for my home -- and having a server that suddenly powers
itself off defeats the purpose...

The shutdown occurs after the machine has been running for a while -- between
2 - 24 hours. It has happened when I leave the machine alone, or when I have
been working on it. It typically happens when I leave it alone.

It happens when X is running and when X is not running.

I have reviewed my log files after rebooting the machine after a shutdown --
either I don't know what I'm looking for, or the logs don't tell me anything.

My specs:
- PowerMac G4 Dual-800 MHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive
- Yellow Dog Linux, 3.0.1 (there is no MacOS X, or other OS partition)
- Currently the network is running through the AirPort card

My partitions:

/dev/hda1 - bootloader
/dev/hda2 - swap (1GB)
/dev/hda3 - / (~78GB)

-- This was the default partitioning scheme offered by DiskDruid when I
installed YDL through the graphical install program.

I have the following processes running:
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
    1 ?        00:00:04 init
    2 ?        00:00:00 keventd
    3 ?        00:00:00 ksoftirqd_CPU0
    4 ?        00:00:00 ksoftirqd_CPU1
    5 ?        00:00:00 kswapd
    6 ?        00:00:00 bdflush
    7 ?        00:00:00 kupdated
    9 ?        00:00:00 khubd
   13 ?        00:00:00 kjournald
  451 ?        00:00:00 dhclient
  493 ?        00:00:00 syslogd
  497 ?        00:00:00 klogd
  612 ?        00:00:00 sshd
  624 ?        00:00:00 xinetd
  633 ?        00:00:00 gpm
  642 ?        00:00:00 crond
  653 ?        00:00:00 cupsd
  755 ?        00:00:00 anacron
  764 ?        00:00:00 atd
  776 ?        00:00:00 mysqld_safe
  779 ?        00:00:00 login
  780 tty2     00:00:00 mingetty
  781 tty3     00:00:00 mingetty
  782 tty4     00:00:00 mingetty
  784 tty5     00:00:00 mingetty
  785 tty6     00:00:00 mingetty
  820 tty1     00:00:00 bash
  864 tty1     00:00:00 startx
  875 tty1     00:00:00 xinit
  876 ?        00:00:26 X
  879 tty1     00:00:00 wmaker
  884 tty1     00:00:29 mozilla-bin
  936 tty1     00:00:00 xterm
  938 pts/0    00:00:00 bash
  965 pts/0    00:00:00 ps

Any help or direction in resolving this issue is much appreciated!
John