WINE for PPC

Sander Nagtegaal yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 22 15:51:01 2004

Well, then as promised with thanks from Wim from the QEMU-mailinglist and with
some added comments from me ( they are the // )

-get and compile qemu

// It's very easy. Just go http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/ and download
// the 0.5.5 version. Then you ./configure/make/make install like normally
// and you'll be fine.
// I suggest not to use CVS but just the 0.5.5 since CVS can be buggy at
// times and people are currently not doing anything to user-mode emulation (
// and that's what WINE will need ) So there no advantage in CVS only more
// problem to come to your way.

-get the following RPMS:

ash-0.3.8-8.i386.rpm
bash-2.05b-20.i386.rpm
compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.118.i386.rpm
coreutils-4.5.3-19.i386.rpm
glib-1.2.10-10.i386.rpm
glibc-2.3.2-11.9.i386.rpm
gtk+-1.2.10-25.i386.rpm
libgcc-3.2.2-5.i386.rpm
libjpeg-6b-26.i386.rpm
libstdc++-3.2.2-5.i386.rpm
libtermcap-2.0.8-35.i386.rpm
libungif-4.1.0-15.i386.rpm
XFree86-4.3.0-2.i386.rpm
XFree86-libs-4.3.0-2.90.55.i386.rpm
zlib-1.1.4-8.i386.rpm

// Just copy pasting the names in google will work and also trying rpmfind.net
// and similair sites.

wine-20040309-1rh9winehq.i386.rpm (or more recent)

// From the site http://www.winehq.org/
// Make sure you get the i386.rpm and not something else

-Put them in the target platform directory (mine is /home/ARCHS/rh_x86)

//mine is /home/azrael/emulation
// It is the directory where every /etc/lib/usr etc dirs will be put in

-Install the rpm's using rpm2cpio and cpio:
e.g.
$ rpm2cpio ash-0.3.8-8.i386.rpm | cpio -idv

// For people that are new. You DON'T ( and want ) to type the entire name in
// your console. Just type "rpm2cpio ash" and just hit the tab key. That way
// it will automaticly be filled in.

-I assume you know how to set up wine (I mean adapting the
~/.wine/config file). My qemu-wine home directory is usr/share/wine-c in
the target platform directory. If you like I can mail my .wine/config
file.

// comment : I can also mail the config file to people that would like to get
// it. Just change some dirs and you'll be fine. It's really easy.

-To actually run Windows applications under wine under qemu, I use these
commands (it's clumsy, I know. If you configure your system to call qemu
automatically for x86 binaries, it would be a lot cleaner. I just put
the commands in a small shell script):

$ declare -x WINEDLLPATH="/home/ARCHS/rh_x86/usr/lib/wine"
$ declare -x
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/ARCHS/rh_x86/usr/lib:/home/ARCHS/rh_x86/usr/X11R6/lib"
$ qemu-i386 -L /home/ARCHS/rh_x86 /home/ARCHS/rh_x86/usr/bin/wineserver
$ qemu-i386 -L /home/ARCHS/rh_x86 /home/ARCHS/rh_x86/usr/bin/wine-pthread
/home/ARCHS/rh_x86/usr/share/wine-c/windows/notepad.exe

// note : the last is one piece.

-To conclude, I must say it didn't work very well for me, but that was
mostly due to wine, not to qemu. The problem is that most installers
fail under wine. But I guess if you have Windows, install stuff there
and then copy to wine, that should work well.

// comment : WINE is constantly improving and already alot better since WIM
did this.

HTH,

Wim ( and Sander )