Successful install of YDL on an external USB drive

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 24 22:05:01 2004

Derick:

Derick Centeno wrote:
> Do you think it may be possible to have YDL run off an iPod, using it as
> an external bootable drive?

That would be cool. Very, very cool.

Actually, now that I think about it, although it could be done, there is
a very practical reason it would be inadvisable. I used to boot Mac OS
9.2 from a 5 GB iPod as a diagnostic toolkit. I no longer do this. To
conserve battery life AND TO REDUCE HEATING, the iPods are designed to
spin up, transfer data to the rather large cache, then spin down again.
Running Mac OS 9 (and, no doubt, YDL) from the iPod made it extremely
hot to the touch, and I could hear the drive being accessed constantly.
This is not good for an iPod. I would not be surprised if I greatly
reduced the life of my iPod in doing this.

(The iPod is now in the possession of my brother, as I gave it to him as
a birthday gift. He has reported no issues, but I still wonder....)

But Yellow Dog Linux -- it would be so cool.

Best wishes,
Clint