USB hard drive and CD-RW

David Hacker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 27 18:15:01 2004

You need to see what device they are assigned to first.  Hard drives
are usually /dev/hd? if they are ata and scsi hard drives, USB and
firewire hard drives are usually /dev/sd?.  You can look at
/var/log/messages to see the boot text and get the device from there or
you can use pdisk from a terminal and print out all partiton maps and
find out from there.  Once you find out what device and partition
number was assigned to the disk you want to mount you need to decide
where you want to mount it.  Usually they are mounted in /mnt.  You can
open a terminal and su to become root, then cd /mnt and mkdir usb or
mkdir macos or mkdir ??? for whatever you want the mount point to be.
Then from the command line just type mount /dev/hd? /mnt/usb for
instance.  Once you are able to mount and access the disk you can add
it to your fstab file then you just have to type mount /mnt/usb or
whatever your mount point is.
Good Luck,
David C. Hacker, DVM