firewall configuration

Julian Opificius yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 29 09:21:00 2004

On Jun 29, 2004, at 10:07 AM, Steve Ward wrote:

> OK found the redhat-config-securitylevel GUI but even if I use the root
> password, none of my configuration changes are saved. Primarily, I just
> want to open port 80 so I can serve my web pages. Any ideas what I can
> do?
> TIA
> Steve
>

> On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 22:27, Steve Ward wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> The other day during the boot process I noticed a message that said
>> the
>> ntpd was opening firewall port 123 (ostensibly to sync with the
>> timeserver). I wasn't aware that ydl 3.0 shipped with a configured
>> firewall. What is it's name? How do I find it and configure it? Are
>> they
>> any man pages on it?
>>
>> thx
>> Steve

>> HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords>
>> site:terrasoftsolutions.com'

IPChains ad IPTables are the two primary methods for firewalling in
Linux, the latter being the more modern and flexible (read
"preferred").

One way of handling firewal configuration is to load and run
Firestarter. It will give you useful additional visibility into
Internet traffic. I've been running it for several months - it's quite
an eye-opener.

--
Julian Opificius