XFce

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 1 16:33:00 2004

Mr. Hamilton:

Greg Hamilton wrote:
> I've been reading about a lightweight desktop environment called XFce
> (http://xfce.org). Has anybody here tried building it for YDL? Does
> anybody have any experience with it?

I have not played with XFce. However, I have had a reasonable amount of
experience with BlackBox, another "lightweight" window manager. I am
pretty happy with BlackBox (which may already be installed on your
Yellow Dog Linux box). There are a few oddities -- and no documentation,
neither in the environment nor on the Web -- but it is quite likable.

If you decide to experiment with BlackBox, here are a few hints:

[1] right-click to start any and all applications, middle-click to
manage windows

[2] if you "iconize" an application, in fact you hide the application
entirely, and can only visualize it using the middle-click window
manager ("icon" was a very poor choice of name for this hiding feature)

[3] several of the options in the applications (right-click) menu are
not active

[4] there is a text file (I don't recall its location, as I am not at my
YDL box right now -- type "whereis blackbox," go to that directory, and
look for a file called "menu"; the file is *not* in your home directory)
that will allow you to edit the applications menu

[5] if you add "nautilus --no-desktop" to the applications menu, it
makes a decent file browser

> According to the web site it's supposed to be lightweight and fast which
> would be handy on a slow box.

You might like BlackBox, too. Let us know how you like XFce.

Best wishes,
Clint