[OT] Wallstreet returned to life

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 2 21:29:04 2004

Friends:

I have upgraded my Wallstreet's processor and memory, and a new day has
dawned!

Last week I was boo-hooing that I fried my PowerBook G3 Series (233 MHz)
Wallstreet's processor daughtercard. The mishap occurred whilst I was
upgrading the memory (the heatsink plopped off the CPU, and when I
reassembled everything, instead of a hearty "sh-pling" of a cheery
guitar chord, I heard the Wallstreet's plaintive screeching tires noise,
meaning she is very, very unhappy.

Uh-oh.

The Wallstreet already had 256 MB of RAM, but I was greedy, and wanted
to upgrade to 512 MB. This meant removing the CPU card, because the
second stick of RAM had to be installed on the underside. Don't do this,
unless you really, really have to.

A trip to eBay and US$64 later, I was the proud owner of a used 300 MHz
daughtercard (from the Revision 2 of the PowerBook G3 Series).
Installation was much easier this time (I had plenty of practice by
now). The two new memory sticks were easy to install on the new
daughtercard, since I did not need to pry it out of the Wallstreet's
guts beforehand (clumsy, clumsy me).

It's like night and day. I booted the Wallstreet into Mac OS X 10.2.8.
With 256 MB of RAM, the Wallstreet struggled with more than one or two
programs open. Now she sings. The memory increase was probably the
biggest cause for improvement in OS X responsiveness, but I would bet
that the 300 MHz processor (nearly a 30% improvement over the 233 MHz)
did not hurt.

I have not yet booted into Yellow Dog Linux, and won't for several days,
due to a business trip (I am typing this from 25,000 feet right now). I
will give a report when I have played with YDL in my new and improved
Wallstreet.

Best wishes,
Clint
(who noted four PowerBooks but only two Dells during the flight)