PCMCIA wireless card on YDL

John M Phillips yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Mar 3 19:51:01 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Alvaro Chavarria wrote:

> anyone had any luck with ANY card?
>
> I have tried an Orinoco silver and a Cisco Aironet 350 and no luck with
> any of them.
>
> does anyone know of a card that DOES indeed work so I can try?
>
> Any tips on how to do it?
>
> This is getting quite annoying. Thank you.

I realize that many others have tried to answer this or similar
quetions, but I will make an attempt to answer.  First, I have
an Orinoco silver working with a Linksys WP-11 under YDL 3.0.
There is a lot here, try to follow the steps below and see where
your system diverages.

1: Kernel and or modules

   Veriy that you have the modules orinoco_cs, orinoco, hermes built
   for your kernel.  Verify this from the command line command:

	modprobe orinoco_cs

2: Packages

   Make certain that the following packages are installed:
	kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.31-13a
	wireless-tools-25-1

3: cardmgr

   Verify that the card mangager(/sbin/cardmgr) is running. As
   root, in "/etc/rc.d/rc5.d" run the command

	./S24pcmcia restart

   You should get the lines "Shutting down ..." and "Starting PCMCIA ..."
   along with at least one beep.  Any error message should be take
   seriously. If the cardmanager has errors, verify the settings in
   /etc/pcmcia/config.opts.  My TI Powerbook has the following settings:

	include memory 0x80000000-0x80ffffff
	include port ox1000-0x1fff
	include port 0x100-0xaff

    Run the command "tail -f /var/log/messages" and then insert your
    orinoco wireless card. You should see some or all off:
	Mar  3 21:48:02 tilaptop cardmgr[2052]: socket 0: Lucent
	Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE Adapter
	Mar  3 21:48:02 tilaptop cardmgr[2052]: executing: 'modprobe hermes'
	Mar  3 21:48:02 tilaptop cardmgr[2052]: executing: 'modprobe orinoco'
	Mar  3 21:48:02 tilaptop cardmgr[2052]: executing: 'modprobe orinoco_cs'
	Mar  3 21:48:02 tilaptop /etc/hotplug/net.agent: invoke ifup eth1
	Mar  3 21:48:02 tilaptop cardmgr[2052]: executing: './network start eth1'

4: wireless.opts

   The configuration data now appears in two places and I am not sure
   which is really in effect. In "/etc/pcmcia", my file  "wireless.opts"
   has the following:

   *,*,*,00:02:2D:3F:XX:XX)       # Card hardware MAC address
        INFO="Wavelan IEEE NIC"   # fluf
      	ESSID="xxxxxxxxxx"        # Pick your own wireless ID
      	MODE="Managed"            #
      	KEY="xxxxxxxxxxx"         # security code
      ;;

    This is repeated in "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/eth1" with:

	# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
	# for the documentation of these parameters.
	USERCTL=no
	PEERDNS=no
	GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
	TYPE=Wireless