yellowdog-general digest, Vol 1 #1345 - Message 7: Where to get software for YDL.

Derick Centeno yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Mar 6 15:41:01 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 14:01,
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 7
> To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
> From: Alvaro Chavarria <aec19@duke.edu>
> Subject: Where to get software for YDL?
> Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 00:27:31 -0500
>
> Do any of you guys know of a website where I can download software for
> Linux PPC? I always try going to the developer pages but the only Linux
> versions they have are for x86.
>
> So, what do you guys usually do? Where do you get your freeware?
>

> --__--__--
Sure.  Go to Sourceforge.net or freshmeat.net; you'll get the joke as
you deepen your Linux skills.  Remember, you are not within the Mac OS
anymore, although it is nearby. A typical scenario would be the
following there is something you want but the author has compiled it for
Intel.  Not a problem really, because nearly all open source authors
allow the source code of the same program to be posted.  So if a
LinuxPPC version of the code doesn't exist, then your option is to
download the source.  After that you have to go through the compile,
make, and other procedures to get that code in shape before you can use
it on your box.

Remember, Open Source is as close to the Old Wild West as we will ever
get, and still every bit as difficult.  That's the "fun" and "challenge"
of it, as well as the satisfaction that you got something working which
still few people would bother doing.  If you can deal with the
mind-numbing details which occur from time to time and other aspects of
Open Source which are not so pleasant -- such as inexplicable features
or interfaces or no interfaces at all, and make the time to program,
submit a bug report to the author or even participate in a programming
team and fix the open source program itself -- well that is what is
about as well.

Working on such things on the MacOS X, even with Darwin, is not quite
Open Source.  It is an Open Source which is tied to Apple, which of
course isn't bad, but it isn't completely "free" nor does that licsence
protect your effort as quoting or using the GPL would protect your open
source efforts.  Take the time to learn about the nuances here and
you'll have less regrets later.  Research the Free Software Foundation
and the General Public License.

--
Cherokee: Mitakuye Oyasin
English Translation: We are all related.

Be Well...