PPC or i386 ?

Ray Auge yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Mar 10 10:11:00 2004

Masterfully done.

I'd just like the put this a little more into context.

The whole crossplatformability is a big issue with any programs that are
very processing intensive. This is why it is rather difficult to get
up-to-date software like mplayer, ogle or emulators to work correctly on
ppc. In order to get the best possible performance they often use
embedded assembly language (not cross-paltform MMX for instance) to
speed things up and/or they might try to take certain processors into
account and speed up on them (like P4's) and leave any other processor
to use generic code. That's why mplayer doesn't play as well on ppc as
it does on a P4. And that is not to say that ppc does not have special
speed optimized instructions (Altivec), the developers simply did not
take it into account, yet.

Hence, these have to be re-writen in ppc optimized instructions in order
to work well. This usually only happens later, if at all. And only if
someone takes up the challenge.