How to format a new hard drive?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Mar 11 20:26:01 2004

Mr. BendAR:

BendAR wrote:
> how can I format a hard drive in Yellow Dog Linux? I don't find the
> formattools. Please give me hint.

I assume you mean to format an external hard drive, since during
installation of Yellow Dog Linux you will have created formatted
partitions automatically.

Look up the man pages for "mkfs," "fdisk," and "pdisk." My limited
understanding is that you must first "build the filesystem" (what we
usually think of as formatting the disk) using mkfs, then set up the
individual partitions using pdisk (the version of fdisk that understands
Mac partition tables).

This will give you your "hint," but I really don't know any more than
this, since I have never formatted a drive.

Best wishes,
Clint