Was: CD player (read) question for PB G4 644

Steve Milov yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 16 10:00:02 2004

Ok, it appears there is a device resources issue going
on.  The PB G4 is a USB based device from what I
understand, all the devices that are on the machine
run on a USB.

I believe that there are devices fighting for
resources on this machine.  This would explain the
erratic behaviour of the CDROM.

Ran a simple experiment to test my theory (it may
sound screwy to some so let me know if I'm way off the
mark here).

I figured the hard drive is on the same address(?) as
the CDROM or something like that.
I inserted the a cdrom, then I cd'd into /etc and did
a cat *.  The purpose of this was to get the hard
drive to read.  The cdrom predictably started the
thrash a bit and ejected the CD.  I reinserted it and
ran the cat again, the second time the cdrom thrashed
then stopped and did nothing.  The cat * finished, I
logged out and logged back in to clear the command
line.  I let the computer sit for a moment after a few
seconds the cdrom started to spin up by itself.  I was
able to mount the cdrom successfully and get a read.
However I did get similar errors to what I was getting
before by still getting a good read.

The computer just went to sleep, when I woke it up the
cdrom started to thrash again.  I also go the
following error message:
VFS: busy inodes on changed media.

over and over again.

Then followed by:

I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 112

There were about three lines of this output.

Some of this might sound like rambling so if anyone
needs me to clarify this to help diagnose this let me
know.

Steve M