Apache woes

Ken Schweigert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 16 10:41:02 2004

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 09:08:08AM -0700, Francis X. Maier wrote:
> Ken, I get a syntax error from root with
>
> ps axlgrep httpd
>
> Seems to be an invalid or incomplete command.  So from root I then did
>
> httpd -k restart
>
> apachectl restart
>
> and still got nothing.  Any other ideas?

The character between the "ax" and "grep" is not an "l" (lowercase el).
It's called a "pipe" and is used to strings commands together.  It's
on the key directly above "return" on a standard Mac keyboard; shifted
of course.

I suspect that since 'apachectl restart' does nothing that Apache is not
running.  If this is the case, you need to find your error_log and see
what is being written to it.  Try looking in /var/log/httpd/
If you see it there, look at the last lines and see what's being written:

	 [root@www root]# tail /var/log/httpd/error_log

This should tell you where to start.

--
Ken Schweigert, Network Administrator