simple networking question

Longman, Bill yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 16 13:20:03 2004

> > eth0: MACE at ..., chip revision 25.64
> > eth1: Digital DS21143 Tulip rev 48 ...
> >
> > I want to use eth1 for networking.  I don't care about eth0 for now.
> > I bring up eth1 with:
> >
> >   ifconfig eth1 up
> >   ifconfig eth1
> >
> > This shows that the interface is up and running.
> >
> > Now I do 'dhclient eth1', which fails.  Packets never seem
> to hit the
> > network.

To diagnose whether or not the NIC is working, plug it into your network and
watch some traffic:

sudo tcpdump -i eth1

If you don't see any traffic (after "ifconfig eth1 up") then there's
something wrong with the module perhaps. Atro can certainly give you better
information than I about how to debug from there.

You might also want to try a different DHCP client package. I have used
"dhcpcd" instead of dhclient. It's just as easy:

dhcpcd eth1

HTH,

Bill