yum update kernel/

Kenneth Browne yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Mar 17 18:51:01 2004

I tried this out hoping it would install what appear to be missing
file(s) for my sound configuration, to wit: dmasound_pmac for my
PPC5500/225. If I fiddle about as root with modprobe, lsmod, and dmesg
it seems to make the sound work but only until temporarily and in
certain apps.
The yum update kernel command brought me a bunch of files and eventually
indicated that the update was installed, but no change in sound. It
appears that dmasound_pmac does not exist on my machine, though there's
something with a similar name.
comp.os.linux.ppc respondent Paavo Hartikainen has offered me several
suggestions, including the above modprobe, lsmod, etc. but so far I've
gotten few positive results.

Is there a way for me to do a reinstall/repair that might install
missing files?
Control Center/System Administration/Linux Kernel reports "invalid
configuration rules or you just found a bug in the KDE Kernel
Configurator" "cannot open /usr/src/linux-2.4/arch/config.in for reading
Searching as superuser in file manager finds NOTHING inside usr/src.
Could this be at the "root" of my problems?

--
clacking the keys in Old Sturbridge Village, MA