[OT] Pegasos PPC

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Mar 20 06:24:01 2004

Norberto,

> As peecee's became the norm I often wondered why a 16Mhz SGI workstation
> running linux worked so much better than a 500Mhz PC with 512MB of ram
> running windoze.

There are rather few SGI workstations running Linux at all.  In general,
they do not work very well, mainly because support for SGI graphics
boards does not exist in any useful way in any free OS and as a result
their usability is severely limited.

The 16 MHz models, which date from the mid-eighties, aren't even amongst
the ones that run Linux in any way.  They are either 680x0-based (IRIS
3010, 3020, 3030, 3110, 3115, 3120, 3120B, 3130), which are not supported
by linux-m68k, or MIPS R2000 based (4D80, 85, 120), which are not
supported by linux-mips, either.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,