[Off topic] Re: Mac OS X

Ed Sutherland yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Mar 21 22:10:02 2004

I've enjoyed the verbal sparing about the evils of licensing, but for
me, the question of which operating system -- Windows, Mac or Linux --
to use is more reality-based. At this moment, Linux is just not an
alternative for the majority of desktop computer users whose main goal
is productivity. I spent a week tangling with Linux in order to get the
system to do an incredibly simple task: create a document which uses
popular TrueType fonts that can then be printed to my desktop inkjet
printer and saved as a PDF file.

First came the installation (one night), then the tweaking of XWindows,
then the collecting and installing of TrueType fonts. Then the searching
for a decent word processor that both reads and writes Microsoft
Word-formatted documents. (OoO is too much for a small task), then
wrangling for the TrueType fonts to be recognized, then researching and
installing and debugging the correct software for creating a PDF file,
then fighting with CUPS to recognize and use my printer. All of this
with zero technical support.

The task was completed in Mac OS X in 90 seconds. Open Word, Print to my
HP printer, Print to PDF file. Done.

Some people may want to save the world, others prefer to fight corporate
giants. Many more just want to get some work done.

Ed