gentoo

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 23 15:45:02 2004

I run much slower hardware than you and don't have the time to wait for
large packages to build from source. I have a feeling that getting a
Gentoo install running on my iBook would take days. I'd rather install
pre-built binaries.

Binary package managers work much the same as portage but without the
delay while the source is compiled.

To install Ogle for YDL all you need to do is:
$ ydl install ogle

And then a (probably really old) version of Ogle installs. Magic.

In Debian much the same:
$ apt-get install ogle

If I wanted access to more up-to-date packages I'd probably install
Debian in preference to Gentoo, gotta love those binary packages.