FTP question

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Mar 24 17:20:02 2004

Mr. Maier:

Francis X. Maier wrote:
> The fog still lays heavily on my head re the whole website-on-my-Linux
> box thing, folks. Last week, thanks to this list, I managed to get
> Apache up and running. But now I'd like to access my website via FTP
> from the office to update the site.

I do not know the exact answer to your question with regards to FTP, but
I do have one suggestion. Would it be at all possible to do your file
transfers to your web site using ssh and sftp/scp instead of FTP? ssh is
a secure and encrypted version of telnet ("secure shell"), and sftp/scp
("secure ftp" and "secure copy") are file transfer protocols associated
with ssh. This combination is easy to use and immeasurably more secure
than traditional FTP.

<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/ssh_server.shtml>
<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/ssh_install.shtml>

Good luck!