Slow file transfers!!!!!

Dene Stringfellow yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Mar 25 04:52:01 2004

I am having trouble copying files to the file server over TCP/IP from
Macintosh clients.

I am running Netatalk 1.5.5 and Samba 2.2.8 on an Apple Workgroup Server
8550/132 under
Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.

I have carried out the following tests copying a folder containing
84.4Mb of various files:

Client              Protocol                       Nic Speed
Server              Time to Copy
Mac                Netatalk Appletalk       100Mb Nic          YDL
3.0         1min09secs
Mac                Netatalk TCP/IP          100Mb Nic          YDL
3.0         17mins41secs!!!!
Mac                Apple Appletalk           100Mb Nic         ASIP
6.3         1min03secs
Mac                Apple TCP/IP              100Mb Nic         ASIP
6.3         1min03secs
PC                  SMB TCP/IP               10Mb Nic           YDL
3.0          3mins0secs
PC                  Apple SMB                 10Mb Nic           ASIP
6.3          3mins15secs

Why are TCP/IP file transfers to the YDL 3.0 server so slow for the
Macs?
Is there a setting in the afpd.conf file that needs to be changed?
Have I misconfigured something which might cause this?

I would welcome any advice

Thanks

Dene Stringfellow