Exclude hidden files/folders from backup

Mike Parson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Mar 25 10:13:00 2004

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 04:19:00PM +0000, Dene Stringfellow wrote:
> Does anyone know how I can exclude hidden directories and files
> (.AppleDouble and .AppleDesktop for example) from a daily backup?

You didn't mention what backup software you're using?  If tar, follow
the other suggestion, if using dump, set the nodump flag on the
directory:

find / -type d -name .AppleDouble -exec chattr -R +d {} \;
find / -type d -name .AppleDesktop -exec chattr -R +d {} \;

Change the / to be the top-level of the filesystem you are backing up.

read the chattr manpage for more info on what that's doing.

--
Michael Parson
mparson@bl.org