KDE Time and Mouse Buttons

Longman, Bill yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Mar 25 12:25:03 2004

> That's all I want to do -- set the time. export
> TZ=America/New_York date
> doesn't work.

Ed, what's your timezone?

echo $TZ

should show you yours. Set your TZ variable to the correct one.

TZ=America/Chicago

will get you to Central Time. Look in /usr/share/zoneinfo for valid TZ's.

Let me take a few steps back. If your clock is wrong, set it to the right
time with the date command. The man page says:

date [-u|--utc|--universal] [MMDDhhmm[[CC]YY][.ss]]

so just do:

date 03251325

to set the date (probably by the time you get this, and assuming you're in
CST).

Understand that setting and reading the clock from the user's point of view
is relative, not absolute. If you want absolute times, use UTC. That's what
the -u flag is for on the date command. Regardless of what your TZ is set
to, you can set the system clock absolutely. That's what rdate or ntpdate or
ntpd do. They all speak UTC.

If your clock is set correctly but your dates are still wrong, put a TZ
setting in your .profile. Then you'll always get your dates displayed
correctly for your TZ.

Bill