ATI driver problem

Francis X. Maier yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Mar 25 19:46:02 2004

My YDL 3.0 is running on an original 333 iMac with an ATI Rage 128
(AGP, I think).

When I do "glxgears," I get an FPS of between 80 and 100 on the 3D
spinning wheels image.

But when I run "glxinfo | grep rendering," I get a "direct rendering:
no" message.

I've gone into /etc/X11/XF86Config and uncommented "load DRI," per info
I've found on the web.  It apparently has no effect.

I've also tried substituting the "r128" driver for the "fbdev" driver,
but then my xserver won't start and I'm stuck in text display.  The
card only seems happy with "fbdev" as the driver (haven't tried the
"ati" driver -- couldn't find any references to that working on the
web).

Anyone have any suggestions for getting 3D hardware acceleration?  I've
gone to the ATI site, but their Linux drivers all seem to be for the
higher end Radeon cards.

Thanks in advance.