Problems with ALSA on 2.6 Kernel

John Lannon yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 26 05:26:01 2004

This might work if the alsamixer worked, but all the
alsa apps (amixer, aplay, alsamixer) can not seem to
find the sound card.  The normal play program (not
aplay) will play a file as will the Sound Settings in
the KDE Control Center.  However, the volume levels
are very low.  If I do play -v xx, the volume levels
do increase but the sound quality goes down
considerably.

Could it be that the sound card (ALSA ids it as:
PowerMac Snapper (Dev 34), whatever that is?) on the
eMac is not yet truely supported by ALSA?

--- Norberto Quintanar <nquintanar@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Ed Sutherland <digital@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 25 March 2004 08:20 am, John Lannon
> wrote:
> > > Simon,
> > >
> > > I finally got ALSA working (I think), but at an
> > > extremely low volume.  The key I believe was NOT
> >
> > I have this very problem with KDE. How do I begin
> to enable sound
> > support for
> > my iMac? Thanks.
> >
> > Ed
>
> Ed,
>
> KDE wants to load specific mixer settings at start
> up.  If you just
> fire up alsamixer and change it back to the way you
> like, then go
> into the KDE control panel under Sound --> Mixer,
> there is a button
> to save current mixer settings. There is also a
> check box to load
> mixer settings at start up. You can probably just
> uncheck that box
> and that way KDE won't try to mess with your
> settings when it starts
> up. I had a similar problem on my sound card, KDE
> messed the
> left/right balance to where I only got sound out of
> the right
> channel. I reset my mixer to my "right" settings
> then clicked the
> "Save Mixer" button in the control panel in KDE.
>
> Hopefully this helps your situation.
>

> ~NQ

> HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords>
site:terrasoftsolutions.com'