more on non-working ssh

Longman, Bill yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 29 11:09:02 2004

> YDL 2.3 on Beige g3...  ssh from the machine works, ssh to the machine
> fails with error:
>
> 	[102]nmoore@spartha> ssh mac468.ctc.um.edu
> 	ssh: connect to host mac468.ctc.um.edu port 22:
> Connection refused
>
> Ok I tried the commands you suggest,
>
> [root@mac468 nmoore]# /sbin/chkconfig sshd on
> error reading information on service sshd: No such file or directory
> [root@mac468 nmoore]# /sbin/service sshd start
> sshd: unrecognized service
>
> it looks like ssh isn't installed?  Why can I ssh from the
> machine mac468,
> but not to the machine?

One's a service running on the machine, the other is a client used to
connect to other machines. They're very different with very different
ramifications.

You'll need openssl installed for the key generation if you're going to
install the server.

What does your log file say? Look in /var/log/boot.log or /var/log/messages
for some clues.