Text Mode-HELP PLEASE

Mike Parson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 29 11:11:01 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 09:51:13AM -0800, Gavin wrote:

<snip>

>> Then type "linux single" at the boot: prompt.
>>
>> boot: linux single
>>
>>> Did I do anything wrong when I installed for there only to be one option in
>>> the yaboot?
>>
>> Nope, all is how it should be.
>
> The screen still goes black after I have typed "linux single" Maybe it is
> working, but I cant see. It only works when there are no video settings set
> in the root.  When I do set the video, I cant get back in to change the
>"ati" to " fbdev"

Try this:

boot: linux video=aty128fb:noaccel,1024x768

Which sould give you a pretty plain-jane 640x480 @60Hz display, which
most any VGA capable monitor can handle.

You can tack the 'single' on the end, if you want to try this from single-user mode.

boot: linux single video=aty128fb:noaccel,1024x768

--
Michael Parson
mparson@bl.org