AFS over AppleTalk? (was Re: login as root to netatalk)

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 29 23:39:01 2004

Henry,

> Is there any way to configure netatalk or atalkd or afpd to permit root
> to access the AFS mounts from a remote computer?

If you're talking about the AFS I know (IBM/Transarc Andrew File System),
then, by default, root has no more access to AFS than any other nobody.
What did you mean?

Users and root alike need a token to access AFS as anything else than
nobody.  I think Transarc implemented a mechanism through which it was
possible to use AFS in an authenticated fashion through the NFS trans-
lator from a client computer that could act as a NFS client but did not
have the AFS client software, but I am not aware of a similar mechanism
for AppleTalk.

If it is indeed the case that you need to access AFS from a Mac running
OS 9 or earlier, you're stuck with suboptimal gateway arrangements.
Fortunately Mac OS X clients can access AFS directly with the OpenAFS
client software, as can pretty much any other UNIX/Linux, YDL included.

Some recommended reading:

http://www.stanford.edu/group/networking/atalk/appletalkindex.html

http://www.gl.umbc.edu/storage/appletalk.shtml

http://www.public.asu.edu/~arrows/glg490/GLG490--Appleshare.html

http://www.citi.umich.edu/techreports/reports/citi-tr-93-5.pdf

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,