RSS News Reader software?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 30 20:56:01 2004

Konstantin:

Thanks for the tip. Straw for Linux looks *great*!

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 21:09, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> > [A]re there any RSS news readers (or "aggregaters") available
> > for Yellow Dog Linux? The one I use in Mac OS X is NetNewsWire
> > from Ranchero Software:
> >
> > <http://ranchero.com/netnewswire/>
> >
> > Anything similar for Linux?
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/straw/

Except... darn. This is how I still suck at Linux in general, and YDL in
particular. I downloaded straw from the Web site. Not a problem.

I untarred the file (tar -xzf straw-0.22.tar.gz). Quick and simple.

The "build" instructions are listed in the README file. It asks whether
I have python 2.2 installed:

[clint@YellowPup clint]$ sudo yum list python
Password:
[...]
Looking in Installed Packages:
Name                                Arch   Version                  Repo
python                              ppc    2.2.2-21a                db

This looks good.

Next, the README says to check for required packages:

[clint]$ python setup.py install-modules-check
invalid command name 'install-modules-check'

WTF?

This is what I hate about Linux. The instructions never work. I have
tried variations on this ("./setup.py" was not helpful). What do I do
now? Where can I find *real* instructions that do not make assumptions
about my level of knowledge?

Thanks!

--
Best wishes,
Clint

(we don't know why). Therefore, for significant questions whose answers
might help other Yellow Dog Linux users, we recommend you sign up for
the Yellow Dog General list: