Printing from YDL to JetDirect print server via HomePlug and Linksys Router

Douglas Denholm yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 4 09:23:00 2004

Thanks Marcelo... It was indeed significant although not because of any of
the network settings on the YDL box.

My YDL box is in the basement and my WiFi gets pretty weak down there (the
Linksys WiFi router is on the 2nd floor)... So I had hooked the YDL box into
the router using two HomePlug network adapters. One is plugged into a power
outlet in the basement with an ethernet cable to the back of the G3. The
other HPN adapter is plugged into the wall near the router upstairs and has
an ethernet cable which connects to the *uplink* port on the router.

So far so good... It turns out that all the network settings on the YDL were
correct. The problem was that I had the JetDirect print server plugged into
*port 4* on the router. On this model of Linksys router there are 4 regular
ports and one uplink port. What I didn't realize was that on this model one
can use *either* port 4 *or* the uplink port but *not* both at the same
time. (In fact, it worked most of the time... Just not when the YDL on the
uplink port was trying to connect to the printer on port 4. That's one of
the reasons it was so hard to debug.)

Anyway, once I moved the JetDirect to port 3 on the router... I was able to
print to my HP 6MP via JetDirect with no problem.

--Doug