I can't believe it....

Geoffrey S. Mendelson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 5 14:41:00 2004

Robert Lyons wrote:
> I was hoping I would hear about someone that was using Gentoo. I have
> downloaded the iso, can you tell me what the pro's and con's are verses
> YDL?

No matter what distro you use, if you have all new world macs, why not netboot
them? Then you really only have one copy.

You would want to have one machine at each school act as a file server.
It would have the boot images and an NFS server for the disks and user's
home directories (local swap drives are a good idea).

You could also use it as a firewall, web proxy/filter/cache, DHCP server,
AFP  (netatalk) server for the machines running MacOS, print server, etc.
Run NIS (yellow pages) so that you have a single logon database.

You could even add a WiFi router in the library and have a "hotspot"
for students/teachers with their own laptops.

It also has the advantage that there is only one machine that needs to
be backed up.

To keep it germane to YDL, there will be a YDL 4.0 coming out RSN.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm@mendelson.com