Xserve problem

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 6 01:03:01 2004

Lorenzo,

> the kernel i'm using is the default kernel of YL 3.0.1 Sirus,
> i did'nt recompile it because i do not know very much the xserve hardware
> so it is the 2.4.20smp precompiled that i found on the YL CD.

Fair enough.

> Are you using the G4 XServe version?

Yes, it's the old 1 GHz G4 model.

> If you are using it, do you think you can send me your kernel allready
> compiled? It will be very much apprecieated.

Please find copies of my 2.4.20-ben1, 2.4.23-pre5-ben0, 2.6.5-rc3-ben0
kernels and modules (for 2.3 "Dayton", if it matters... shouldn't) at:

http://www.biocenter.helsinki.fi/~atossava/ppckernels.tar.gz

If you keep encountering problems, log the output from "dmesg" when
you next reboot and send a copy to the list.  There is always the
possibility that you are having hardware problems.

On a side note, our Xserve has started having serious problems (random
complete lockups with no panic messages whatsoever and nothing in the
logs either) and I think it is due to the on-board SunGEM Ethernet
interface.  ifconfig shows this:

          TX packets:16587 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:51964
          collisions:105939 txqueuelen:100

In other words, the "frame", "carrier" and "collisions" figures are
extremely high, and they start out that way, and I don't think our net-
work has problems as the problems stopped the moment I changed the
primary network to use the add-on card instead.  Motherboard replacement
for an out-of-warranty Xserve does not sound very appealing, so I think
we'll just live with having only one network interface.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,