OT: I can't believe it....

Longman, Bill yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 6 10:10:01 2004

> Thanks again Stefan for the run down on Gentoo and system cloning.
> Using Gentoo along with Netboot (for desktops) might be the
> best combo
> here from what I have seen on this list.  Gentoo sure sounds
> like a pain
> to setup but another friend of mine who uses x86 said Gentoo is
> definitely the way to go.

Ryan, I've been using Unix for almost fifteen years, Linux for about three
of those. I have used several different Linux distros: SuSE, Mandrake, RH,
Slackware, Gentoo, Debian and even FreeBSD. [All these on x86].

Gentoo is worth running. Code dependency headaches [almost] disappear.
Performance is excellent. It's just a slight "paradigm shift" {cough, spit,
choke. Did I say "paradigm shift"}. Boot from a CD and get your system able
to talk on the net. Pull yourself up onto the next rung. Grab the stuff you
need and run/compile it. Next rung. Compile those and Bob's your uncle.

The best part is, there's no "devel" packages you need to install. You've
got them, unless you started with a stage 3 system, because you compiled the
code for everything you are running. That means all the code for your
libraries is already there. All the code for your apps is available. If you
want to add a new application that uses those libraries, fine, it's just one
install.

One thing I did notice, on a dual Opteron here, is the backlog of masked
applications. Perhaps it's because the Opteron is fairly new, but I hope the
PPC side is better kept.