Getting descriptions of the yum-able packages...

Douglas Denholm yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 8 20:22:00 2004

--B_3166874553_3695824

When I do a =B3yum installed=B2 on my newly set up YDL box, I get a list of
about 630 packages.

If I check to see how many yummable packages are available but not installe=
on my YDL box, I get a list of about 770.

Now I have some idea of what some of them are for but there are dozens (and
dozens!) where I have no idea what they are for. And the folks developing
these packages seem to enjoy coming up with names that have no discernable
connection to what their purpose ;).

Is there some place where I can find descriptions of all these packages?

--Doug

--B_3166874553_3695824

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Getting descriptions of the yum-able packages...</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><BR>
When I do a &#8220;yum installed&#8221; on my newly set up YDL box, I get a=
 list of about 630 packages.<BR>
<BR>
If I check to see how many yummable packages are available but not installe=
d on my YDL box, I get a list of about 770.<BR>
<BR>
Now I have some idea of what <B>some</B> of them are for but there are doze=
ns (and dozens!) where I have no idea what they are for. And the folks devel=
oping these packages seem to enjoy coming up with names that have no discern=
able connection to what their purpose ;).<BR>
<BR>
Is there some place where I can find descriptions of all these packages?<BR=

<BR>
--Doug</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>