sonnet L2/G3 in 6500 powermac

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 12 13:12:01 2004

here is an update to my unanswered question of yesterday
(has ANYONE out there succesfully run a sonnet L2/G3 500 MHz
in a 6500/275 under YDL 3? [or something pretty close?]):

I ResEdit'ed the Sonnet Processor Upgrade extension so that
it became type "scri" instead of "INIT". It now loads before
BootX. The result is (as I kindof expected) that linux booting
now halts, BOTH when booting from the BootX extension, early,
AND when booting from the BootX application, later. And in both
cases it halts on the 22nd line of boot messages at "arch:  exit".

I'm using the latest BootX, namely version 1.2.2.

Still hoping for a good clue from someone out there...

Yours
Richard Gill

PS. I had a lot of fun getting YDL 3 to run on this machine.
All the usual troubles with monitor, network card and sound card.
All essentially fixed now (I did not get the Apple Comm II network
card to work satisfactorily under linux, despite a lot of kind help
which involved patching a couple of different drivers: tulip and de4x5;
but a cheapo RealTek PCI card from the PC store around the corner
worked splendid out of the box. And works under OS 9 too).
The 6500 is such a nice linux machine. It would be so good to
have the G3 card in operation...