Any recommendations for a PCMCIA nic?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 12 16:27:01 2004

Christopher wrote:
> Geoffrey,
>
> I see silver, gold, 500 and 1000 models on Ebay. Any of these
> specifically? or are any Oronoco cards good to go?

gold (128 bit encryption), silver (64 bit encryption) or bronze
(no encryption) are the ones. The 500 and 1000 are different cards,
same name.

At one time you could upgrade the silver to gold by loading a firmware
update (requires ax X86 running windows). I don't know if it's still
available.

Note that WEP encrtryption is easily broken. Use it to keep random users
off of your network. If you want security use ssh and ssl tunnels and
https.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm@mendelson.com